Fred Meyer Senior Discount Day set up to harm seniors

181 of 195 Fred Meyer reviews

Fred Meyer has a senior discount day on the first Tuesday of each month. So, seniors like me make a big shopping trip and save $10 to $30 on FM's already good prices. Management requires you to tell clerks that you are a senior, even if you know the friendly clerk and the clerk knows you are a senior and you are in line with five other seniors. The friendly clerks often start talking to you and then they 'forget' to scan the senior discount.

Note that their ads say, "Just ask your cashier for the senior discount." That's too funny, seniors remembering something like that after barely being able so shop.

When they forget to give you the discount, you have a to go to customer service. Today the sales clerk forgot to give the discount to the person in front of me and apologized and told the customer to go to customer service (they didn't, the customer was ticked) where customer service would manually hunt through the invoice and key in each item and then hand back a refund. The first thing I told this clerk was I was a senior. She said she would scan the discount code. We got to talking about nothing and general and the sales clerks last words to me were..... you'll have to go to customer service to get your refund.

At customer service, DeeDee, a ten year employee asked me to get the stuff out of my three bags of groceries. I started to hunt and peck for the items, but I realized how *** the request was and that Dee Dee could manually input the item numbers just like the last time this happened to me. (Plus Dee Dee was a little rude, probably because she hates ringing up the refunds manually). Oh and customer service should know that you have to remove the top layers of merchandise to see whats on the bottom, and the counter is the best place to put the stuff.

I was a little frustrated, but I thought this senior discount scam isn't Dee Dee's fault. Dee Dee didn't tell the employees not to ask customers if they are seniors and Dee Dee can't control a sales clerk who forgets to scan the discount code even though the sales clerk was told. So I was handed two bucks and some change, which I thought was a little light. But the line of ticked off seniors was behind me was getting huge and I thought it best to leave.

I got home and the credit receipt she stubbornly gave me, only because I asked, was a credit for over six bucks and she hadn't even rung up all of the eligible items. I take responsibility for not checking the refund receipt, but those seniors behind me were hot....

Anyway, what a scam. Can you imagine all of the seniors who go on the first Tuesday and think they are getting their refund automatically. Maybe they think the refund is tied into their rewards card, which it should be. It's big bucks, trust me. Just talk to the clerks on Senior Tuesday. They say it happens all of the time. Then talk to customer service folks like Dee Dee. But watch out, she might rip off your head.

Fred Meyer management should be ashamed of themselves for their management of this policy. And they should send all of their seniors a big fat check every year.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 56 Yes 56
181 of 195 Fred Meyer reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
Omni

Dec 05 #1250274 Junction City, Oregon, United States

So, let me get this straight. You completed your checkout without making sure that you got your senior discount? And then, you have the mind to blame the cashier for your mistake? It's your responsibility.
The cashiers CANNOT offer you any discounts. It is against store policy to offer any discount or coupon whatsoever, as that would defeat the purpose of the store having the coupon in the first place. If they do, they can be fired, and everything is monitored. They can only add a coupon or discount to your order if you ask for it, and it's your responsibility to make sure that they get it. Saying "Oh, I'm a senior" at the beginning of a transaction does nothing, because discounts are taken into account at the END of a transaction. It is not a "scam", as they give you exactly what they advertise, and are very clear as to what is allowable and what is not. Take some responsibility in your life, it's never too late.

Dec 05 #1250282 Toorak, Victoria County, Trinidad And Tobago

It's just another clown unable to take responsibility for their own poor behaviour but fully ready to jump on the internet and spread BS to try to get revenge. Note that the same fool is also making complaints against the same vendor here on other grounds in order to discredit them.
It's sad when the older types turn out to be just as scummy and ill-bred as the young types.

2 1 Reply

Nov 15 #1241000 Gig Harbor, Washington, United States

Yes it is really not worth it unless you are purchasing a large item. AND THEN. You will be told it is not on the list. LOL. Just another scam.

0 0 Reply

Sep 04 #1208071

From what I've been told, it is "against store policy" and possibly illegal to ask customers if they are seniors. I know they can't ask for proof. I've had several checkers ask me if "there are any discounts that I would like to take advantage of today? " I think that's a great way to do it.

0 0 Reply
Appreciative Senior

Mar 04 #1122019 Seattle, Washington, United States

We senior citizens can be so demanding and unappreciative! Fred Meyer generously made the offer. This is not a senior citizen care facility - take responsibility to do what you need to do. Write it on your grocery list, put a sticky note on your FM Rewards card, put a rubber band around your wallet - use whatever reminder you need, but please don't blame them for not being a senior day care facility!

3 0 Reply

Mar 02 #1120864

And the 10% discount is only on Kroger/Fred Meyer brands. This is not made very clear to customers. That's why do most of my shopping at Winco. They beat Fred Meyer every day on just about every item.

2 0 Reply

Jan 06 #1089818 Renton, Washington, United States

I got my senior discount yesterday. No problems. Before I paid I said I'm a senior he looked up the code entered it. No customer service line. Never do I have a problem.

Jan 05 #1089309

This happened to me...I was excited because it was going to be my first time being able to get the discount and it was the first thing I said. I also had coupons for other utemd, and had keyed in that I wanted 40 bucks cash back. The cashier forgot all of it. I use a cane, sometimes even two. My spine does not like standing much. But I was so mad I went to customer service where she had to un-key and re-key almost the entire receipt...I got $25.00, which is huge considering my retirement check.....but the $40.00 cash back? I was told to come back the next day to find out if the cashiers drawer was off. I explained that my body just does not allow me to get out and about 2 days in a row. I called the next day, yes the cashier's drawer was off. I explained that every store and office every where needs refresher classes on customer service. I was mailed the $40.00 and a $25.00 gift card but I try to avoid that store if at all possible..L we have other fred Meyer stores here in Anchorage, Alaska. I had no idea this was possibly a scam hoping we would forget.

jade

Dec 17, 2015 #1080366 Beaverton, Oregon, United States

Really? Cut the coupon from the ad, or print the coupon online (at least three sources that I know of) and hand it to the cashier. And they don't ask if you are a senior because, believe it or not, some customers would be offended if the cashier thought they might be over 55! It is not a scam - it is a discount offered to customers to help save money. If it doesn't always work out, well, what in life does? Get over it!

Dec 10, 2015 #1076915

I cannot agree enough!!!! So true! Wish FM people read this.

2 2 Reply
63andgrateful

Nov 10, 2015 #1061380

where are the people that should be watching over these senile old folks? their care takers should be alert since they aren't able to do simple tasks by themselves. they shouldn't be any alone if they are that out of it. bless fredmeyers for offering this generous gift. It's sad some people complain about things that are their own fault. Maybe they should shop somewhere else.

2 3 Reply

Oct 31, 2015 #1056393

I also had a bad experience with senior day. I was given cash back at Customer Service. Then when I got home I realized I had gotten something that wouldn't work out. I went to CS to return it and was told their records for that receipt showed I'd already returned it. So I'd recommend getting money returned to your card and be sure you get a receipt to prove what really happened.

Oct 05, 2015 #1043368

There is a SENIOR coupon you can print out on the Fred Meyer website. Just give it to the cashier each time to scan.
(Most FM ads also have a coupon to cut out for the senior discount.) Then the cashier doesn't have to remember to do it.

2 0 Reply

May 17, 2015 #985449

Lowe's and Home Depot cashier stations have a bar code label right next to the cash register - they just scan the bar code to get your 10% military discount.
Maybe Fred Meyer could do the same thing, although it may take some higher level of education to make it happen.

2 1 Reply

Jan 07, 2015 #926935 Nanchang, Jiangxi, China

I have had this happen.
How hard would it be to tag our rewards card as a senior so it would automatically trigger the discount???

im_jw

Jan 03, 2015 #925081 Albany, Oregon, United States

I'm 66 years old, and regularly use the Senior Discount offered by Fred Meyer's. I've "never" had a problem getting my discount. Don't know what this person's problem is, but maybe he needs to work on improving his short term memory. It doesn't take much effort or mentally agility to remember to say "Senior Discount Please."

Fred Meyer shopper

Mar 03, 2015 #953583

The pissconsumer DID tell the clerk that she was a senior. If you forgot you read that by the time you posted your comment that underscores her contention that many seniors will have a hard time remembering to ask for their discount, so flagging eligibility with Rewards cards is a great idea.
Her other point is that the clerks cannot scan the senior discount code until they have rung everything up, so they understandably forget to do that by the time the order is rung up. I have had a clerk forget to do that even though I informed her earlier that I was a senior. I went through the painful customer service line like she did to get my refund, and the clerk there INSISTED that many of my eligible items were NOT eligible for the discount. I debated him for some time but he insisted he was right so I gave up and went home and double checked the policy on the website and was convinced I was right. I then called the store manager and he said that I was indeed right and to stop by at customer service at my next visit and get my full refund, which went smoother with another clerk. (The manager said he would talk to the stubborn clerk and correct his policy misinterpretation.)
Now I tell the clerks I'm a senior twice, the second time timed right before they finish the order, but if I have told the clerk once and forget to remind them the second time and they forget to scan the code, I will NOT go to the customer service counter ever again! I will ask for a refund and
... Show more

1 2 Reply
Fluffy

Dec 23, 2014 #920024 Portland, Oregon, United States

I don't disagree with you entirely but where I do is the fact that regardless of our age we are still responsible to watch out for our own best interests. If we intentionally wait for Tuesday for the discount, what is so dang hard about seeing to it the clerk is aware we qualify? It appears like you have a need to point fingers at others when you need to take ownership of your own mistakes. It has never been a big dark secret that we are to notify the clerk if we qualify for the discount.

4 1 Reply
cindy

Nov 15, 2014 #900686 Oregon City, Oregon, United States

A lot of whining here. Fred Meyer doesn't have to give a senior discount. Especially to people under the age of 62. I have about 4 cashiers that I go to and we chat while things are being rang up. The last thing I say is senior discount please. I shop at the Oregon City Fred Meyer and have never had a problem getting the discount. Yes, Fred Meyer does have some rude cashiers and I avoid going through their lines. Other stores that offer senior discounts don't give them automatically you have to ask. Fred Meyer isn't trying to scam seniors!!

8 1 Reply
Megan Montague

Nov 04, 2014 #895480

I think maybe the policy has changed, or it is clerk-dependent. A nice young man rang me up as senior one day last summer when I was in line and chatting with a friend in her 70's. That's how I found out about the senior discount, and now I shop it regularly. Their policy is generous in starting the senior designation at age 55.
One thing to watch out for is selecting the brands /items that are discounted on senior day, that takes some planning and effort, and don't expect to save tons - it will probably be in the $3 to $10 range.
I'm off to Fred's to do my senior day shopping today, list in hand.
Good luck to all!

4 0 Reply

1-20 of 64 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.